Before you arrive in your new city or town, it’s a good idea to explore the local public transport options and decide how you will get around.
Getting around Canada is generally easiest with a car except in urban centres like Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal, where public transit is much more feasible. If you prefer to use public transportation, research your options before you decide where to live.
If you live in one of Canada’s bigger cities, you might prefer to walk, cycle or catch public transport rather than worry about potentially more expensive (and less convenient) private travel options. Most public transport options offer discounted travel if you’re a student, but you may need a specific student card.
The bus is the most common form of urban transportation in Canada. Some cities have other modes of public transit. In most cases, you can easily transfer from one mode of transportation to another.
In most cities, you can buy tickets at:
- convenience stores
- major transit stations
- from the bus driver (you’ll need to give the exact amount).
Buses are available for local travel as well as longer distances, with frequent services running between major cities. Trains are modern, quiet and efficient, and offer convenient routes between popular destinations like Montréal and Halifax, or for travel from Montréal and Toronto to Vancouver.
Driving or cycling
If you choose to drive or cycle in Canada, you’ll need to understand the rules and meet any requirements before hitting the road.
- Canadians drive on the right side of the road.
- Be wary of wildlife on roadways in rural areas, particularly at dawn and dusk.
- Speed restrictions are posted in kilometres per hour.
- Ifyou are staying in Canada for less than three months and have a valid driver’s licence from your home country, you generally don’t need to get an international licence as well.
- To learn more about the road rules and licence requirements, visit the Government of Canada website.
If you want to travel further, you can fly out of one of Canada’s 13 international airports, or choose from a number of different domestic airports across the country.